Sacred Heart Catholic Church
15 Grampian Road
Completed in 1911, Sacred Heart Church was designed in a Romaneque style by Belgian architect, Charles Menart, who had studied at Glasgow School of Art from 1893 to 1898. It is situated in what was then the small fishing village of Torry on the south bank of the River Dee. Described by Historic Scotland as “Early Provence-Auvergne Romanesque” this is a little piece of the mediterranean in Torry built by the Italian community. It is one of the finest looking Catholic churches within the city of Aberdeen and an icon in the locality. Its red, rosemary tiled roof can be seen from many points around the city. A major restoration of the church has recently been undertaken just in time for the building's centenary which will take place on 17th November of this year.